El Salvador Papa Nono | anaerobic combined
The name PAPANONO honors the legacy of Father Jose Antonio Salaverria SR and grandfather of Andres Salaverria, who was known by the name “Papa Nono”. Coffee is a generational business in the Salaverria family which has always worked with much passion and love for coffee growing. Papanono was part of the third generation of the family in coffee, followed by Jose Antonio Salaverria Borja (4th generation) who today works with his son Andres (5th generation). Papanono, always instilled a principle of teamwork and this lot is a clear example of the result of good work put from the collection of the fruit in its optimum point, its process of COLD FERMENTATION, until its export process. Just as we have fought for this lot, we will fight to have many more of equal or better quality in the future, following the legacy of our ancestors, always with the passion for coffee that has characterized us as a family.
- Region: Apaneca – Ilamatepec
- Producer: Andres Salaverria
- Altitude: 1500 masl.
- Preparation: combined anaerobic natural |The vessels in which the coffee cherries are fermented don’t contain any oxygen at all: The oxygen is removed when the coffee is added at the beginning of the process, and valves on the tanks keep them free from oxygen seeping in during the process while also allowing CO2 to be released as it builds up during fermentation.
- Variety: Yellow Bourbon x Pacas | Pacas variety was discovered in 1949 on a farm owned by the Pacas family in the Santa Ana region of El Salvador. In 1960, the Salvadoran Institute for Coffee Research (ISIC) began a program of pedigree selection (selection of individual plants through successive generations) for Pacas. It is still widely grown in the country; it accounts for about 25% of the country’s coffee production. Seed stock is available from Procafe. It is also grown in Honduras, where it was introduced by IHCAFE in 1974.
- Crop: 2019/2020
- SCA: 90,5
- Descriptors: intense vinous profile with champagne as dominant descriptor